Friday, March 27, 2015

Rules Wars 1 - A New Hope

Firstly before anyone takes any real meaning from the title of this blog don't bother, I drew reference from Star Wars and thought it was funny nothing more nothing less!

Anyways it seemed I copped a little flak for what I fired out over coffee yesterday morning which in fairness I fully anticipated, if you're curious it was just crap like "Sure it's easy for you to say when your not actually having to write and implement rules" or "Mike your a complete Bitch, Dick, Cock Fuck head...... and more"

As it stands all of which I completely agree with, funny though how pissed off people get when your response is "Sure I agree" it's kinda like arguing with a woman, ever noticed how pissed off they get when you simply agree and move on as if you don't care? It's awesome only in this instance for me at least I actually did agree with them and I really didn't care what any of them had or has to say to me!

Right on to the point (Holy shit only two paragraphs to read prior!) so in the small hours of this morning (Friday) I was contacted by a completely new sanctioning body that will have everything from national NBC television coverage to free all expenses paid family vacations to the winners to create a rule set for them based off of 5 classing's with sub-divisions called MTA using the following guidelines,


Given the vast complexity of the guidelines I was asked to adhere to I decided the first order of business seeing as these are my rules not someone else's I would start with what I wanted them to accomplish for a Time Attack series, we're going to refer to them as goals from this point on!

Goals!

  • Primary focus is to help grow the series
  • Clear, Concise and easy to follow ladder path defined by modification level to promote driver/car development through the rules groups (i.e. Enth - Street - Mod - CASH)
  • Clearly defined driver required experience requirement per class with associated form (this will become more apparent in subsequent blogs!)
  • Promote very distinguishable classing structure so as it's very apparent via rule controlled modification level what class a car belongs in
  • Tightened up safety reg's in higher classings 


There's a few more that will come to me but as I only have my 30 minute lunch break right now I'm trying to keep this a little short but sweet all while stuffing my face with CJ's.

Now I got to thinking OK I kinda know what I want to achieve here but what's the best path to follow? I mean there's some obvious ways to write a rule book and none are what anyone would call easy but obviously some are easy than others so where I am right now is at the point of choosing a path from something like this,

Once you're overall main rules are written each class rules are governed by if we say you can you can but anything we don't say you can you can't

The other way would be the inverse of the above which to me seems like it would be a royal pain in the ass!

There is a third and much more interesting way of doing it, you do the above (the first option) and then you generate what's called a VSS, a VSS is a Vehicle Specification Sheet. This way of doing things is typically found in Professional racing and is probably by far the most complex way of doing it but the most clearly defined way of equalizing cars to promote level playing fields.


Right the lunch bell just rang and that's all I have time for today, tune in early next week to find out what path I choose to take when I pen and publish Rules Wars 2 - The rule book strikes back!

No comments:

Post a Comment